Today at the Disney Shareholders meeting, it was announced that there would be no Disney D23 Expo in 2010. However, D23 will not let fans expecting an event down as a smaller, two-day event will be held at Disneyland in September.
The new event is called “Destination D” and it will be held exclusively for D23 Members on Sept. 24-25, 2010 at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.
“Destination D” will alternate annually with the D23 Expo.
The first event, called “DESTINATION D: Disneyland ’55″ will take D23 Members on a journey through the design, creation, debut and magical history of the world’s first Disney theme park. The first DESTINATION D will be held in the Grand Ballroom of the Disneyland Hotel.
DESTINATION D: Disneyland ’55 will offer two full days of special presentations, panels, screenings and guest speakers that let fans meet and talk with key figures in Disneyland’s history. Future DESTINATION D events will explore other important aspects of Disney’s creative legacy.
“We’re very excited to also be creating an entirely new event with DESTINATION D, which will bring Disney’s fascinating history to D23 Members in ways no other Disney fan can experience,” said Steven Clark, head of D23. “There’s nowhere on earth quite as special as Disneyland, and we want fans to see it as they never have before.”
The first “Destination D” event will include:
· “Disneyland: The Way We Were” – Disney’s Chief Archivist Dave Smith will look back at highlights from Disneyland history;
· “Disney Undiscovered” – An exploration of never-built projects and attractions developed for Disneyland;
· “23 on 55” – The Walt Disney Archives celebrates Disneyland’s 55th anniversary;
· “Weird Disney” – A showcase for some of the quirky, little-known facts, places, people and ideas that even the most avid fan might not know.
More details on the programming and events planned for DESTINATION D: Disneyland ’55 – as well as details about the 2011 D23 EXPO – will be available soon at www.disney.com/D23. Tickets will go on sale early this summer.Tweet
At Disney’s annual Shareholders meeting today, CEO Bob Iger officially announced that there will not be a D23 Expo in 2010.
The next D23 Expo will be held in Anaheim, Calif. on Aug. 19-21, 2011.
Tickets will be available on Aug. 19, 2010, one year before the 2011 D23 Expo begins.
Last year’s first-ever D23 Expo was an enormous gathering in Anaheim, bringing thousands of Disney fans together to witness announcements, presentations, and other special events.
More information about the 2011 D23 Expo can be found on their official web site.Tweet
The official Disney Twenty Three / D23 community web site has launched at disney.com/23 and has revealed many more details regarding the upcoming D23 Expo in September, including:
- A member-only screening of Pixar’s Up
- Keynote speakers including Disney President and CEO Bob Iger, Walt Disney Pictures Chairman Dick Cook, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo and John Lasseter, chief creative director, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios
- Performances, Celebrities and a Fashion Show
- 50 and Fabulous Film Festival – Screening films that turn 50 this year including Darby O’Gill and the Little People, The Shaggy Dog and Sleeping Beauty
- Readings, Signing, and Q&As: Check out surprising gallery events, author appearances and signings and even a beautiful Disney Home to walk through
- Film and TV Sneak Peaks
- Unique Exhibits from Disney Parks and Resorts, Walt Disney Records, Disney Consumer Products, ABC, ESPN and Walt Disney Imagineering
- “Dream” Store with some D23 member-only exclusive merchandise
- Fan Forum: A hall in which Disney fans can show off their collections and meet with other Disney fans
All of the information is here.Tweet