A couple years ago, I posted a list of the Top 10 songs I listened to most in 2008. I meant to create such a list as an annual tradition, but forgot in 2009. So now that we’re in 2011, I’m back with lists for 2009 and 2010.
The lists were created via a Smart Playlist in iTunes, based on play count, rating (only songs with 3-5 stars), and part of my “Music” playlist, which excludes podcasts, audio books, and anything related to Disney. In other words, they’re lists of “good” to “great” songs that are part of everyday listening.
This is how the original 2008 Smart Playlist was set up:
One more note: For both years, I had to also exclude the Nine Inch Nails album, Ghosts I-IV. It’s an instrumental album I often play while working on projects and its songs dominated both lists to the point of making them uninteresting. So technically, that is my most-listened to album of both years.
So here we go…
My Top 10 Most-Listened-To Songs in 2009
1. “A Day In The Life” by The Beatles from Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. “A Different City” by Modest Mouse from The Moon And Antarctica
3. “#1 Crush” by Garbage from Romeo + Juliet
4. “Ikons” by KMFDM from Xtort
5. “Tourette’s” by Nirvana from In Utero
6. “A Night Like This” by Smashing Pumpkins from The Aeroplane Flies High
7. “Change” by Blind Melon from Blind Melon
8. “Deserted” by Blind Melon from Blind Melon
9. “Priceless” by Boxelder from Seed
10. “everything zen” by Bush from Sixteen Stone
It looks like 2009 was an odd year for me in iTunes music selection. The top 2 songs on this list are unfamiliar to me, which means iTunes must have randomly chosen to play them more often than any other. The rest is an assortment of tracks I enjoy, but would never have suspected they’d be the most played for the year. But I suppose it’s good to have a variety of music year-to-year.
My Top 10 Most-Listened-To Songs in 2010
1. “A Boy’s Best Friend” by The White Stripes from De Stijl
2. “Any Colour You Like” by Pink Floyd from Dark Side Of The Moon
3. “Queer” by Garbage from Garbage
4. “Miss World” by Hole from Live Through This
5. “About a Girl” by Nirvana from Unplugged in New York
6. “Time” by Pink Floyd from Dark Side Of The Moon
7. “In the Flesh?” by Pink Floyd from The Wall
8. “Disarm” by Smashing Pumpkins from Siamese Dream
9. “Birdhouse In Your Soul” by They Might Be Giants from Flood
10. “DLMD” by 311 from 311
The 2010 list is a complete contrast to the 2009 list. Apparently I listened to more singles in the past year than in years prior. I like that KMFDM and They Might Be Giants each made one of the two lists, as both are bands I thoroughly enjoy but don’t listen to nearly enough (or at least… I didn’t think I did). I’m not sure how The White Stripes topped the list, as I almost never listen to them. It must have been another iTunes anomaly.
But it’s clear from both lists that my musical tastes are still firmly planted in the 1990s, with many tracks from Nirvana, Hole, Garbage, Smashing Pumpkins, 311, and more bands from that era.
What were your most-listened to songs in the past year? Launch iTunes, recreate the Smart Playlist above, and post your Top 10 for 2008 in the comments below!